Friday, March 16, 2012

A New Teaching: Shinchonji

If someone were to ask you if you've ever heard of Shinchonji, you would probably be among the vast majority of people who have not. And yet, there are handfuls of people all around the world who are getting involved in Shinchonji without their knowing.

If someone were to ask one of them if they've ever learned about the revealed word or the opened word, they would say, yes. They would probably say, I'm learning the revealed word right now. How do I know this? Because two months ago, this was me. I was deeply involved in learning the revealed word for months and never knew that I was actually being converted to the Shinchonji Church of Jesus, Temple of the Tabernacle.

There are lots of groups that claim to have "the revealed word," so the two may not necessarily be linked. But, if you're anything like me, the revealed word is the first thing I thought to research because it is such a central component to Shinchonji teaching.

In my experience, every time I asked direct questions about the name of the organization, the founder, or where these teachings were headed, my teachers would hand me vague and evasive answers. The organization had no name. The founder was a "missionary" who gives all glory to God. My teacher's church was "a church that teaches the revealed word." When pressed, my teacher called her church a non-denominational church called "Serving Christ Jesus." I was not able to maintain any information about this church via the internet because this church does not exist. Another name they've given out is "California Zion Church" which is searchable via the internet... that is, with no real information attached to it. It is listed in the yellow pages siting 1) where it could be found on a map, and 2) a phone number. None of this was useful to me because the people there will not give out any palpable information. Questions about their teachings usually led to "that will be covered in another lesson" or "just continue with the lessons and wait till you see the whole picture." When I expressed concerns with the way they were interpreting scripture, they would persist to tell me, "you are using your own thinking like the Israelites did in the first coming of Christ."

If you are experiencing similar situations with a group of believers, you may be getting involved in Shinchonji Church of Jesus. I did not find this out until a month after I left their teachings due to heavy, investigative research. And I was involved in learning their teachings for five months!

This is their website: www.healingallnations.shinchonji.kr/content/welcome-healing-all-nations.

This is a website that desires to test Shinchonji teachings in light of the Word and sound reason: www.shinchonjiandthebible.blogspot.com.

This is some of their beliefs/teachings:


1. They don't believe in the trinity.

2. They believe that believers today must completely understand Revelation and the parables in order to enter the kingdom (Matt 13:10-11).

3. They claim that "the one who overcomes" in Rev 2:17, 26-27 is a prophecy of a coming pastor who will open the Word. This is controversial since this phrase appears to be taken out of context since the writer is writing to a church body. Thus the phrase would more easily be interpreted as “those among you who overcome.”

4. They claim that they alone have the Revealed Word because their pastor is this pastor—Mr. Manhee Lee.

5. They believe they are the 144,000 recorded in Revelation 14:1.

6. They believe that the old generation of Christians will betray God as the Israelites did by not receiving the Revealed Word (2 Thess 2:3). The sun, moon, and stars in Matt 24:29 that fall to the earth represent the pastors and Christians who will betray God.

7. They believe that the "Counselor" Jesus spoke of is not the Holy Spirit, but actually this promised pastor of the end times.

8. They believe that the church today is interpreting many things literally that were always meant to be taken figuratively—thus, the Revealed Word opens those figurative meanings.

            A. Trees represent people (Ps 1:3, Is 55:12).

            B. Fire represents the Word of judgment (Jer. 5:14).

            C. Food/Bread represents spiritual learning (Is 55:2).

            D. Pregnant woman represents pastor (Gal 4:19).

            E. Light represents the Revealed Word (Ps 119:105).

            F. Foxes represent false prophets (Ezekiel 13:4).

            (And many more. These are just to name a few.)

9. They believe that Jesus Christ has passed his scepter of authority down to the "promised pastor" to rule over the nations with the Revealed Word, and that this pastor will turn around and give all glory back to Christ.

10. They use one-on-one studies to reel people into their classes. Usually there is one teacher and at least one recruiter—a member who is pretending to be learning for the first time along side of you.

11. They justify their deceptive practices with 1 Cor 9:22, and using Abraham and Jacob as examples.


27 comments:

  1. i live across the street from these people. have been doing research because they tickled my spidey senses. they use this residential house to host "retreats" in the middle of the night. i knew something was up. i've seen weird happenings such as people crawling on the floor and such. it always seemed like they are preparing for war or something. have been learning more and more. as long as they keep to themselves i'm cool. oh that and stop taking up all the parking on the street. they block people's driveways!!! not cool. i don't care if it's 3am in the morning. the neighbor has elderly sick parents. they may need to leave at a moments notice and these people blocking people's driveways. no respect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Well, I have a friend who was in it longer than I was and knows a lot more about them. And in reference to him, I have a pretty good idea of what you were seeing. He says that Shinchonji people have a thing called "Duty". That is, everyone gets together at ridiculously late hours of the night and does military workouts like a bootcamp. Why? Because they are the one true church for the one true kingdom and it is their Duty to remain sharp. The leaders work them to the bone, doing crawls, ridiculously long laps, etc., and tell them that they must work harder for THIS kingdom in the Word than they are working right now physically. It is a physical metaphor for understanding their "Duty" in the kingdom of truth. The people engage in these activities willfully although their intense loyalty has been slowly indoctrinated in them. They often keep very late hours, and are often tired. This is NOT healthy! On occasion, my teacher could not make it to our study (probably because she slept in), yet, she would always tell me she got into a car accident. I started questioning her word after the third time she used that excuse. Really?? Three car accidents in four months??! Hmmm. It is very sad, actually. They are very deceived, and so they resort to deceiving because they themselves are very deceived.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I never knew they were THAT far out! I mean, low crawling an stuff?
    I know a few ppl who are heavily involved in this cult, and it takes up all thier time. I questioned one of them as to how often they meet a week, he told me every day! "There's allways something to discuss,"he said; as if it were totally normal or something.
    And yes, untill this day, not one of them has ever mentioned the word "Shinchonji", even though I smelt a dead fish right off the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have introduced a portion of the Bible was worrisome. Thank you. Seclusion is a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just figured out I was meeting with one of them via Skype, for the past 2 months! I mentioned what I was doing incidentally to one of my friends last night, and he said what i was learning sounded suspiciously like something he went through last year, and put me onto google with the word "shinchonji" Apparently they are a sneaky cult that was started by someone who was originally part of another cult, so it is not surprising that they have this system down pat. Very personable and nice people on the outside, but now that I think about them ,it sends chills down my spine. My "teacher" also would run out of my skype sessions at 10pm or 11pm for "meetings" but now i know what they are. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brothers,

    Please refer this blog written by victims from Shinconji as click here http://shinchonjivaccine.blogspot.com/

    We desperately pray that "Shinchonji Vaccine" will spread throughout all churches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife brought me to speak to a man named Aaron J Russo, under the guise that we were just meeting a friend for coffee in Pyeongteak South Korea. I am an athiest and former christian, and the conversation quickly turned to religion. (That is- Aaron shoehorned religion in- much like I used to as a christian missionary in China in 2001,2002)

    During the whole conversation he walked a delicate tightrope of saying that words have a definite meaning- yet god is constantly updating those meanings to change the revelation in order to best the devil at a grand game for souls (god is apparently on the verge of winning- despite the devils obvious advantage in the number of souls won...so god wins when he reached 144000 souls to the devil's trillion or so throughout history? Yeah...)
    I said I thought it was funny how god had to hide secret message type revelations in order to beat the devil likethe french resistance (so much for all powerful god, I always believed that the parable of tares (wheat and chaff) said god is not all powerful- in contradiction to the many bible verses that says god is all powerful.)
    I asked him how god can be so loving if he made so many people knowing they would go to hell while he plays this game of, oh, we are on revelation 6.37-2, the jews are on revelation 2.01-1 so they go to hell. But I save 144000 so I win nah nah nah tthhhpppp.
    I asked him- So all these other people believe they are following god because they are christian or jewish- but only your tiny group gets heaven because they were lucky enough to join...what wasthe name of your church again?
    It took plenty of google-foo to figure out the name of my wife's new cult- I doubt she even knows.

    Mr Russo was very evasive about his Church- warning sign number 1- number 2 was when he claimed to have an exclusive hold on truth.

    Aaron J Russo said I have an evil heart (my mother disagrees) and condemned me to hell for not realizing that Aaron J Russo was a beacon of gods light in a confusing world... only made confusing by gods constant updates to his revelations...and 2nd corinthians says god is not the author of confusion...anyway.

    This cult is bad news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm sorry to hear about this. You are right that God is not the author of confusion in 2nd Corinthians. That was actually a big verse that gave me clarity about this group. Personally, I am still a believer in God and a Christian, and have been for many years. For me, it's obvious now that their god-- who's crafty, and must hide secrets to "beat" the devil-- is not at all the God I serve (2 Corinthians 4:2; 1 John 1:5). But, at the time, it seemed that he was-- mb because of their consistent kindness or passion. Usually, when someone follows an exclusive teaching like this, there is more going on with that person than just "falling for" this or that intellectually. There may be some emotional or spiritual attachments that keep them coming back despite the confusion. For me, i had many doubts and questions all along, but it actually wasn't until i had a spiritual intervention that i stopped going. And, I credit an all-powerful God for that ;). But, I can sympathize with your frustrations either way. You are absolutely right-- they are very bad news. I'll be praying for ya.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. HI - my mother is an American woman who has been converted to shinchonji. Looking for any ex-members who can help me convince her to abandon the teachings. I am terrified for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi! Auvickyc, I'm so sorry I just now saw ur post and its been almost two weeks! I didn't see my email notification. I, personally, do not consider myself an ex-member because I did not learn from them for a very long time. But, I know a few ppl who might be able to help u. PLEASE email this address: pxeprincess@aol.com. I would really like to help u in whatever way I can!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Is this email address still valid? I have a friend who also goes yo one of these classes and it sounds like this is the cult. I want to be able to show the truth through the bible because they only use bible and feel like unless I use the bible they will not believe me. I'm also extremely worried and don't want to give up on them

      Delete
    5. Hi! This email does not get used much, but I will check it if you want to email me there within the next week or two. And yes, it's a difficult place to be in.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I have been going to some Bible studies that are seemingly intellectually appealing at first, but this week something hasn't been sitting right with me. There are a lot of catch phrases used: prophecy & fulfillment; seed; harvest; secrets of the kingdom of Heaven; eras in the Bible; harvest; appearance, destruction & corruption...etc.
    I just want to know if I am just being paranoid or if this really is a Shincheonji backed study. I am living in Korean and another expat is teaching. We meet twice a week and have been pushed to meet three times a week starting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. It sounds like Shincjonji, but just to be sure, try asking them what is their church name. If they give you an evasive answer, then that is a bad sign and you should not continue. Shinchonji also goes by names like Serving Christ Jesus (or acronyms of SCJ), or Olivetree, or Temple of the Tabernacle. I don't know if there have been new names for it, but whatever the name is, check it online. You could also try asking who started the church, and research them as well if you don't get any results in your church search.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey can you check your pxeprincess@aol.com account?
    I sent you an email!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was also part of this people but thankfully the love of God rescued me from them .... I never believed them and everything I did while I was with them it was against my will. I have a friend who is in there amd she got me there... So bad she believes them everything but thats her choice. Only God can judge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi pxeprincess@aol.com ,please check your e-mail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete